Automounter - Newmake

The forum for our foreign guests... Please post in English
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Automounter - Newmake

Beitrag von jubbler »

I'm slightly confused with implementing automake, and following barf's process on his site.

So to clarify, I need to edit the 2 files: cdk/Patches/linux-$version-dbox.config (for YADD) and cdk/Patches/linux-$version-dbox.config-flash (for images) and change a line to say CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y....

Right, thats simple enough...

Now the confusing bit is where is says:

"Installing in YADD is done with the make target automount, for images with the make target flash-automount.....etc...etc"

So my question is this; if I do the 1st bit and want to build the image using my normal command - e.g. "make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all" , then where do I stick in the bit above about "make target flash-automount" as, I tried adding that to the make command e.g. make flash-automount-all-jffs2-2x yadd-automount-all , but it seemed to know nothing about that make target and failed.

So the confusion I think in the description on the web-page, is whether the make target flash-automount part is something thats typed into the make command (e.g , in my case make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all) and I've slipped up somewhere, or whether this needs to be typed in at the "configure" stage ?

Incidentally, if I *only* did the first bit (added the automount kernel support) and used my usual make command make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all , then would I end up with automount support, or not ?

If not, then an example of how I would extend my normal make command (make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all) to include the automount part would greatly help.

Cheers from Mr Half-A-Brain :-)
Barf
Developer

Beitrag von Barf »

Actually, the sentence following the one you quoted says:
Therefore, the elegant way is to include the line make automount in (e.g.) yadd-neutrino-local.sh and/or the line make flash-automount in root-local.sh,...
You can also make flash-automount, followed by flash-all-jffs2-2x, but I would not recommend this for "production".
Incidentally, if I *only* did the first bit (added the automount kernel support) and used my usual make command make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all , then would I end up with automount support, or not ?
No.

Everything is in my page, although my writing style is "concise" and almost (but not quite!) redundancy free.

The word "target" is used as a technical term, with the semantics from make. Therefore, the confusion you write about is not there.
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von jubbler »

@barf
Barf hat geschrieben:
You can also make flash-automount, followed by flash-all-jffs2-2x, but I would not recommend this for "production".
This is the bit I was missing/looking for - thanks. I had discovered that make flash-automount worked so I just need to append my normal make commands (which are in a script and hence useable for "production") until I get my head around the concept and workings of the "-local" files :-)

Just for final clarification, I could do all this in one line - "make flash-automount flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all" if I wanted or I could do the "make flash-automount" and then the "make flash-all-jffs2-2x yadd-all" later on or as a second line ? Would it make any difference to compiling time which option I went with ?

Cheers.
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Not working for me on YADD

Beitrag von jubbler »

OK, so I built it with the automount option and complied etc all as above.

It didn't work for me on YADD.

Firstly, the logic in rcS states that if "/sbin/automount" exists then...., but in my case automount did not exist in /sbin.

Secondly, on a YADD, if I type "ps", all I see is "ps", it doesnt seem to report anything is running, although I know it is :-)

Thirdly, looking in the "/lib/modules/<number>-dbox/kernel/fs" folder there are neither cifs nor nfs "drivers" or even directories there.

So unless I'm missing something (more than possible) I would have to conclude there is something wrong with this process with respect to YADDs ?

(PS these things above do exist on an image, however)
Barf
Developer

Beitrag von Barf »

You forgot

Code: Alles auswählen

make automount
Incidentally, this works also after make yadd-neutrino.
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von jubbler »

Barf hat geschrieben:You forgot

Code: Alles auswählen

make automount
Incidentally, this works also after make yadd-neutrino.
errr, yes and no, I didnt forget it, I'd used make yadd-automount as I followed the same command logic as for the images (flash-automount).

Is there a simple way to get up a list of all supported (new)make targets with correct syntax ?

Cheers.
Barf
Developer

Beitrag von Barf »

jubbler hat geschrieben:Is there a simple way to get up a list of all supported (new)make targets with correct syntax ?
http://www.bengt-martensson.de/dbox2/ne ... of+targets, or reading the sources (Makefile.am, make/*.mk). Although it should be said that the difference between "public" and "non-public" targets is sometimes not really clear.
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von jubbler »

Barf hat geschrieben:
jubbler hat geschrieben:Is there a simple way to get up a list of all supported (new)make targets with correct syntax ?
http://www.bengt-martensson.de/dbox2/ne ... of+targets, or reading the sources (Makefile.am, make/*.mk). Although it should be said that the difference between "public" and "non-public" targets is sometimes not really clear.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

BTW, have compiled a yadd which now has the automount in /sbin, however the other 2 issues I had above, on yadds still remain. i.e.

"Secondly, on a YADD, if I type "ps", all I see is "ps", it doesnt seem to report anything is running, although I know it is

Thirdly, looking in the "/lib/modules/<number>-dbox/kernel/fs" folder there are neither cifs nor nfs "drivers" or even directories there. "

Cheers.
Barf
Developer

Beitrag von Barf »

jubbler hat geschrieben: "Secondly, on a YADD, if I type "ps", all I see is "ps", it doesnt seem to report anything is running, although I know it is
Try the correct options to ps.
Thirdly, looking in the "/lib/modules/<number>-dbox/kernel/fs" folder there are neither cifs nor nfs "drivers" or even directories there. "
OK, while compiled into the kernel, i.e. not as modules. Cf. kernel configuration file. Did some (sane) description tell you the should be there?
jubbler
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von jubbler »

Barf hat geschrieben: "Secondly, on a YADD, if I type "ps", all I see is "ps", it doesnt seem to report anything is running, although I know it is
Try the correct options to ps.
Well just typing ps on an image brings up the ps list, it doesn't on a yadd. OK I can type ps -A but my question really was why is the yadd behaviour in this regard different to in an image (both compiled at same time with newmake) ?
OK, while compiled into the kernel, i.e. not as modules. Cf. kernel configuration file. Did some (sane) description tell you the should be there?
Some sane common sense suggested to me that if the modules are present in an image and the yadd was built at the same time with the same parameters, then I would have expected the modules to be there, if they are there in an image - which they are. Hence confusion again as per the above issue.