Internet wont work with dbox

The forum for our foreign guests... Please post in English
b16 shaz
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Internet wont work with dbox

Beitrag von b16 shaz »

hi,

i have a wireless router, which is connected wirelessly to my laptop through a card, my internet wont work when i plug the ethernet wire into my dbox, i cant use a splitter becuase the router does not have any place for the wire to go, somebody please help, i cant use a 2 way splitter, is there anything else.my router is a netgear on, it doesnt have the a hole for the telewest cable wire to go in, the router just directly connects thorugh an ethernet cable directly to the box, when i put the old box on it is fine, someone please HELP!!

thanks,
shizy
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

Hi Mate,

even living in your country does not help me to understand parts of your error description..
Please write down modelnumbers so we can try and help you.

As far as I am aware does telewest or ntl supply you with a cable modem that has either a ethernet port and assignes a IP to a pc connected via dhcp or a usb connection. If you want to share your connection you will need a router. The router has normally a Wan port that needs to be connected to the Cable modem and the the router has about 4 Lan ports and maybe wireless to connect to PC's.

Please describe your issue and the cable's (straight or crossover) or we wont be able to help you...

Some example Pictures but with just a combined router/wireless/modem

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

or this example in case the Cable Provider is also your Internet Provider

Bild

Bild
b16 shaz
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Beitrag von b16 shaz »

it is this picture:

how can i connect the router to the dbox, i wasnt gicen a modem, i was given just a router and this plugs into the telewest box, it uses the telewest cable box's modem, i have connected the router to the dbox through a ethernet cable, the exact same way i did with the telewest cable box, and it doesnt work, i cant use a splitter, i have a wireless conection straight to my laptop, thats why they didnt provide me with a modem,
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

SO you have that setup than:
Bild

No Need for a splitter.

Dbox conects with a straight cable to router.
FInd out from your router the following as I assume the Image you are using has issues with DHCP

What you need is a free IP within the range of the router (take my picture as an example)

Then press the Dbox Key
Choose 4 (Settings/Einstellungen)
Choose Network/Netzwerk
Scroll down to the DHCP and turn it off
Set IP
Set Gateway (IP or your Router)
Set DNS/Nameserver (IP of your Router)
scroll up to set network now (above DHCP)
Press home
Press Red Key
b16 shaz
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Beitrag von b16 shaz »

im trying to find the IP of the router but cant!! how do i find out the ip of the router?

thanks,