VLC 085 Streaming Guide

Digital Recording
PT-1
Moderator english

VLC 085 Streaming Guide

Beitrag von PT-1 »

Hallo,

von einem anderen Forum und leider nur in English.
Das Attachement funktioniert leider nur fuer 7 Tage, dann muessen wir Webspace suchen !!

Ich versuche auch mehr Details fuer den Patch zu erfahren

Im Kurzen, Streaming jeglicher Videofiles vom PC zum DBox Movieplayer sind damit moeglich !!

Have Fun

PT-1

GUIDE:

A quick and dirty guide to getting VLC 0.8.5 working with the dbox.
Introduction
A lot of this guide was based around Chi's rough guide to streaming from PC to dbox, without which I'd
have not got the movieplayer working in the first place.
Once I had got VLC 0.7.2 working I found a few problems, things didn't work quite cleanly enough on
certain videos I was getting slight freezing and stuttering that was completely due to 0.7.2. So I changed
to version 0.8.4a and this cured my problem in this respect. However, as Chi found, I found playback
issues as in sound and no video so futher investigation found the problem to be any video that was not
25fps, so then I started to work on getting aroudn the problems and eventually suceeded by using one of
the nightly builds of 0.8.5 and a patch I put together to get things working.
Before starting
The instructions assume the following
1) The dbox is configured and fully operational.
2) The dbox is accessible from the PC that will be streaming the video. Try doing a "ping".
For example if your dbox has the address 192.168.0.100, enter:
ping 192.168.0.100
3) All the steps described assume you are using Windows XP Professional.
4) I have written this around using VLC 0.8.5 nightly build 28/01/2006, I know early builds have
problems and I do not guarentee later ones still working but this build does work.
You can download the build from the following link:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... -win32.exe
5) You have downloaded the file vlc_085_dbox_patch.zip that was with this guide.
Preparations
PC
For streaming purposes alone, you do not need to have a specific user for the dbox to function. All
you need is your normal login id and it doesn't have to have a password either.
If you wish to create a specific user then perform the following:
Right mouse click on 'My Computer' > 'Manage' > 'Local Users and Groups'. Expand 'Local Users
and Groups' right click 'Users' > 'New User...' username dbox password dbox untick 'User must
change password at next logon' > 'Create'
Now, share a folder conatining the videos. Example:
C:\Movies shared as Movies
To share a folder, right mouse click on it, 'Properties' > 'Sharing' > 'Share this folder' > 'Permissons'
> 'Add' > 'Locations' if you are using your normal admin account then that's all. If you created the
extra user then you need to do the following:
Select the name of your PC, 'OK' > enter dbox in the object names field, click 'OK' > click 'OK'
again and one more 'OK'.
Now ensure you have unistalled and pervious version of VLC you have been using on the PC and
install vlc-0.8.5-svn-20060128-0000-win32.exe.
Use the default options and if you wish to install the activex plugin then feel free.
Dbox
Grab the remote, switch the dbox on / out of standby and press the dbox button.
'Settings' > 'Movieplayer'
Set the following:
'Streaming Server' to 'on'.
'Streaming IP' to the IP of the PC.
I left the port default of 8080.
Configure the DVD drive letter, default is 'D' (change accordingly)
'Directory (VLC)' to C:\Movies (note the captial letters)
'Datarate Video' is default of 1000*
'Resolution'*
Leave everything else as it's default value.
*now 1000 works without a hitch but I found that 1500 gives a better picture quality, however you
PC needs to be able to handle encoding at this speed and indeed you network can transport this
without a problem, it's an experiment but do not og over 1500 as the bursts of data will go over
what a 10M HDX link can cope with and so your picture will break up and go buffering or at worse it
will stop playing and drop back to the player.
*the default is 352x288 and again will work. I use the top one of 704z576, this is for two reasons:
1) The quality issue again is improved but again increasing this increases the work of the PC that
is encoding the movie to stream.
2) If in this mode widescreen films are actually sent to the dbox in the correct aspect ratio and not
resized or at least that is what I have found.
Streaming: PC -> Dbox
Open up windows explorer and navigate to where vlc was installed.
By default it is installed here:
C:\Program Files\videoLAN\VLC
Now we need to delete some stuff so highlight the following:
http
Right mouse click and select 'delete' and 'yes'.
Now to patch VLC 0.8.5, if you don't patch it, it quite simply will not work however I have made the
patch so when it's installed everything will work :o)
Now open the patch file 'vlc_085_dbox_patch.zip'
Extract this zip file into the follwoing directory ensuring that 'use folder names' is selected.
Say YES to overwritting all files.
Right click on the VLC icon that should be on your desktop if you did the default installation.
Select 'Properties' and 'Shortcut' change the 'Target' to be:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http --sout-transcode-fps 25
Press 'OK'.
Now fire up VLC using this icon if you are wanting to stream to the dbox which is the point of this
guide :o)
Dbox
Press the 'dbox' button > 'Movieplayer' > 'File via VLC'
At this point, if everything is working correctly, you should see a listing of your video's in your
movies directory. Using the dbox remote, select the files you'd like to play and press the 'OK' button
on the remote.
You should see a dialogue box on your TV with a message about "connecting to the streaming
server". This message shortly disappears and is replaced with a message stating 'Buffering'. This
should take a few seconds (max). Then you get the video playing back on your TV.
Press the 'Red' button on the remote to stop playback.
I hope this guide has helped you. Any questions please post in the forum and I will try and help out.
cdh555
petgun
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von petgun »

hi,
habe den relevanten Teil der Anleitung sklavisch befolgt und kann bestaetigen dass danach auch VLC 0.8.5 prinzipiell funktioniert. Ohne den 'patch' ist mit VLC 0.8.5 kein browsen/abspielen moeglich.
Streaming jeglicher Videofiles vom PC zum DBox Movieplayer sind damit moeglich !!
kann ich leider nicht bestaetigen. Alle *.avi funktionieren bei mir, aber leider einige *.mpg die nativ mit VLC 0.8.5 einwandfrei abgespielt werden werden mit dem Movieplayer nicht abgespielt. Ton funktioniert, aber das Bild ist in der Regel ein historisches Fragment des alten Bildinhalts (zB. letztes TV-Bild mit wechselnden Fragmenten im oberen Viertel). Diese jetzt nicht funktionierenden *.mpg haben mit VLC 0.8.4a und dem Movieplayer noch funktioniert.

cu,
peter
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

Werde es zurueck melden
petgun
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von petgun »

hi,
wenn ihr die libpacketizer_mpegvideo_plugin.dll die sich im plugin-folder befindet nicht durch den patch austauscht, klappen auch wieder alle *.mpg mit VLC 0.8.5.xxx und dem Movieplayer.

cu,
peter
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

V 0.2 fuer euch !! Sollte jetzt auch wie schon von Petgun bemerkt mit MPGS funktionieren

wieder nur 7 Tage hier
Tommy
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von Tommy »

habs mal hier dauerhaft abgelegt: vlc_085_dbox_patch_v2.zip
ollo
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Beitrag von ollo »

Leider lassen sich nur noch Pal formate abspielen,bei ntsc bleibt es dunkel.
Oder gibt es da auch einen Trick?
petgun
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von petgun »

ollo hat geschrieben:Leider lassen sich nur noch Pal formate abspielen,bei ntsc bleibt es dunkel.
Oder gibt es da auch einen Trick?
..habe keine ntsc-files dachte aber speziell durch '--sout-transcode-fps 25' waere das abspielen von ntsc-files mit dem movieplayer moeglich..?
ollo
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Beitrag von ollo »

Also bei mir gehts nicht.

Und man sollte den Film nicht bis zum Ende abspielen lassen,dann kann man ein weiteres File nicht abspielen.Bin wieder zurück auf die 0.8.0.
petgun
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von petgun »

ollo hat geschrieben:Bin wieder zurück auf die 0.8.0.
..ja, da liegt evtl. doch noch was im Argen. Imo geht es auch mit dem letzten offiziellen Release 0.8.4a...aber VLCRape kannst Du damit zB. auch nicht benutzen.
ollo
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Beitrag von ollo »

Hab einfach den Ordner der 0.8.5 kopiert und woanders abgelegt.Dann deinstalliert und die 0.8.0 Installiert.

Die VLCRape.ini angepasst und dann gehts auch so.
petgun
Tuxboxer
Tuxboxer

Beitrag von petgun »

ollo hat geschrieben: Die VLCRape.ini angepasst und dann gehts auch so.
..gute Idee, so werde ich das auch machen aber als Standard fuer den Movieplayer die 0.8.4a nehmen...wobei diese patcherei ja dann nicht notwendig ist...VLCRape spielt mit VLC 0.8.5.xxx out of the Box.
Guenne74
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von Guenne74 »

Ich hab jetzt VLC 8.5 drauf. Ich benutze ein JTG Image und habe den Patch für VLC eingespielt. Beim Aufruf des Movieplayers bekomme ich zwar die Dateiauswahl aber beim auswählen der Datei steht nur "Puffern..." da und nix kommt mehr :cry:

Kann mir jemand einen Tipp geben was ich falsch mache ? :gruebel:

Danke im voraus
Günther