High Definition

The forum for our foreign guests... Please post in English
NeilJay
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

High Definition

Beitrag von NeilJay »

BBC (the only FTA channels on uk cable) are trialling a HD services on my cable network.

Obviously the BDOX2 cannot produce a HD capable analogue out (due to the limitations of the phillps SAA7xx encoder, but it got me thinking can we stream the TS out over the network and play it using VideoLan).

So i gave it a go and it nearly worked - we get a TS out of the box for the HD channel, but VideoLan (on my Laptop) struggles to render the video - dropping frames all over the place - Although i must say when is does get a complete I-frame the image is amazing (1920 x 1080 !!!). I believe the loss of frames could be due to 3 reasons:

1. My Laptop is too slow (its only an old P4 @1.6GHz with 256Mb ram and 16Mb video)

2. The Network bandwidth isn't enough from the crappy 10Mbit halfduplex connection on the DBOX

3. The TSstreamD daemon (or the IP stack itself) on the DBOX isnt fast enough / getting enough cpu resouce ??

Has anyone else tried this ? please share yor experiences. Item 1 is easy to solve given £££. If 3 is the issue then it might be do-able with a stripped down image and overclocking, but 2 is a bit of a show stopper !!

Cheers.
dietmarw
Contributor

Beitrag von dietmarw »

PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

I shall get a friend of mine to test it on UK Cable as I hopefully receive mine and his IDE Interface.

Unfortunately do I only have Sat and BBC HD is not FTA on Sly but he has got cable so he can try
new.life
Erleuchteter
Erleuchteter

Re: High Definition

Beitrag von new.life »

NeilJay hat geschrieben:..but 2 is a bit of a show stopper !!
yes, and I think it's the only one in your scenario...but even with the IDE-Interface it's not sure that it works.
NeilJay
Neugieriger
Neugieriger

Re: High Definition

Beitrag von NeilJay »

So can somebody translate that thread DietmarW posted ?? :)
Trial
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von Trial »

Hi,
I do not think that you will be able to stream. Reason: DBox only has 10MBit and this is easily exceeded by every HD channel. You need a transfer rate of 25-30MBit to handle HD.

ciao
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

I do not think he want's to stream, he want's to record and then afterwards transfer the recording to a PC.

@NeilJay

be a bit more patient as the developer of the IDE Interface is at present experementing with writing directely to the HDD instead of different driver levels etc. That should give the whole thing a boost.

At present to my personal knowledge there is no Open Source Box out to buy on the market that could do what you ask for.

EDIT: Please use google to translate as it would be a bit to much to ask for to translate a whole Topic...

You can also try here as that is the Topic I talked about http://forum.tuxbox-cvs.sourceforge.net ... sc&start=0
Trial
Interessierter
Interessierter

Beitrag von Trial »

Hi PT-1,
>but it got me thinking can we stream the TS out over the network and play it using VideoLan).
I think he wants to stream:-)

ciao
new.life
Erleuchteter
Erleuchteter

Beitrag von new.life »

PT-1 hat geschrieben:At present to my personal knowledge there is no Open Source Box out to buy on the market that could do what you ask for.
what's about the Relook 400? Streaming/recording should imo be possible..?
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

Hmm... I forgot that little baby ;-)

I even used to have one...

No clue if the Native OS on it supports it or the Enigma that now runs on it..

At least it has a HDD interface built in and 100MBit Network....

There is a Dutch Page that is quite up to date but they also talk about other stuff there so unfortunatly I won't be able to post a Link
new.life
Erleuchteter
Erleuchteter

Beitrag von new.life »

PT-1 hat geschrieben:Hmm... I forgot that little baby ;-) I even used to have one...
:gruebel: did you never try to record/stream such a FTA HD channel with that baby? I think the relook is a worthy successor of the dbox2...10/100 Mbit NIC, Twin-Tuner, IDE-Interface, cheap..

<edit>
'cheap' not 'cheep' ;-)
</edit>
Zuletzt geändert von new.life am Mittwoch 24. Januar 2007, 12:19, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
PT-1
Moderator english

Beitrag von PT-1 »

Nope,

the original Image was to unstable to test and I lost interest and gave it to my Brother in Germany ;-)

I might get it back and have a play as my brother never even tested it himself...

PT-1